May 14, 2012

first weekend @ home

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, the Harrison's have returned to their humble abode!

It feels wonderful to be back in my own home. For the past two weeks, we have been staying at Dadi and Dada's house recuperating and adjusting. Words can not express how grateful I am to have such amazing in-laws. From the moment my husband and I brought Lucas home from the hospital, they have been there for us. Lucas is a lucky little boy to have such loving Grandparents! Their love, support and encouraging words come directly from the heart and for that I am eternally grateful.


Friday night I gave Lucas a bath in his new tub. This was the first time I bathed Lucas by myself. At Dadi's house we bathed Lucas in the sink. Sink bathing scared (scares) me. I had a hard time keeping him in an upright position, away from the edge of the sink and the faucet. However, now that we are at home I was able to bust out the baby tub that I got at my shower. The tub has a handy newborn sling that makes bathing easy. The sling supports and cradles his head, while allowing him to rest comfortably and safely. As Lucas grows the sling can be adjusted and removed to make more room. I feel 100 % comfortable with bathing Lucas by myself. A clean baby is a happy baby! And a sleepy baby. Lucas sleeps so much better after his bath. 
Confession time. Is it wrong of me to be counting down the days until my son reaches three months? Sunday was a fussy day. Lucas was colicky and didn't want to sleep at all. Sometime during the afternoon I finally reached the breaking point where I could not even enjoy spending time with my husband and son. My body craved sleep, my head was pounding and my heart was heavy. I am not so naive to think that having a newborn was going to be easy. However, a small part of me was hoping that overnight I'd magically transform into a super-mom. I'd have all the answers, I'd know exactly what to do to comfort my son, my apartment would be clean and well organized, I'd have a delicious dinner prepared on time for my family and I'd still have time style my hair and look fabulous. Yea. Such lofty ideas. lol.

Theodore Roosevelt said "Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain or difficulty..." I love my son and I love my new role as a Mommy. It's not going to be easy. And that is ok. I will take one day at a time and remind myself to enjoy this time in Lucas's life. He's not going to stay a little cute newborn forever. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment