September 23, 2012

Revamping the master bath

As most of you know, this summer my Husband and I purchased our first home. Over the past couple of weeks I have been planning, making lists and faithfully flipping through home decor magazines in search of inspiration. I choose to start in the master bathroom. It needed a serious makeover, and I felt that the bathroom was the least intimidating. Although our home is at least fifty-years old, the previous owners did upgrade/updated the bathroom fixtures...the sink, shower, window, toilet and the lights.

Before: please excuse the mess. 


Blah, blah, blah!                                

























The original walls were a light beige/off white color. After digging around in the garage, I discovered that the previous owners had left a gallon of paint that would work well in the master bathroom. The color wasn't labeled, but it looks like a dark beige or maybe Straw Basket (http://www.behr.com). I painted four walls this color. I contrasted this color by painted two walls Chocolate Swirl; also by Behr. I choose to paint the "hidden" walls the dark chocolate color. The idea was that the dark color was hidden from the outside view, and would be a surprise once you were inside of the bathroom. In addition, I thought that the dark paint above the sink would really bring out the white trim around the mirror and white counter top. I love the initial decor above the toilet. At first my husband thought it was weird to highlight the toilet...lol...but I think it grew on him. The lettering I bought at Michael's craft store and used left over chocolate swirl paint to match the color with the walls. The curtains I bought on sale @ JCPenny. I took one curtain panel, cut it in half and sewed a new seam on the outside panel. I'm very happy with the results. 

What do you all think??






I still have a few more things that I'd like to do, however, overall I am really happy with how everything turned out.

Up Next: The Master Bedroom :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment