September 20, 2017

Swift Arrow by Josephine Edwards

I want to share a book that the kiddos and I have been reading. At the beginning of the year I promised myself to read more. I've been slowly, but steadily building up steam and tacking my never ending book pile. And with Lucas's reading log for kindergarten it has been a great motivation for us to read more. I'll be back to my usual posts tomorrow, but hang in there with me...this might get interesting.

Swift Arrow by Josephine Edwards 

Swift Arrow was one of my favorites growing up. I loved listening to my Mom read the book aloud. I read the book on my own several times after that and now I'm reading it to my kiddos. The circle has come full.

George Boylan a young pioneer boy is captured by Indians and raised as the son of the mighty Chief Big Wolf. He lives with the Indians for about twelve years learning their ways and living as a member of the tribe. However, never looses the desire to escape and return to his family.

When Big Wolf announces his plan to name Swift Arrow as the next village Chief, and to betroth him to Ewanah, the Chief's daughter, Swift Arrow knows that his escape is now or never.  George is successful is escaping and returns to his family to live a long and happy life.

Although George does not want to be an Indian, or be the Chief, he appreciates the kindness that village show him and learns to love and respect Big Wolf as as his Chief and Father figure.

During a particularly difficult time in the Indian village, George recalls what his father said about God and suffering. "God does cause the suffering. But when things do go wrong, God helps us endure. And God has promised a great reward if we lived right and keep our faith." Great words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment