June 30, 2018

June Reading

Corduroy by Don Freeman will always have a special place in my heart. My Mother read Corduroy to my sisters and I when we were little, and now I'm reading this book to my own kiddos.

It is a sweet story about a little bear who lived in the toy department of a big store. Day after day he would wait for someone to come and take him home. One day, a little girl came into the store and asked her Mother to buy Corduroy. Sadly, the Mother said no, and that "he's lost the button to one of his shoulder straps." Curduroy didn't know that he had lost a button, and this realization sets him off on an adventure to find the missing button.

Lisa, the little girl does come back for Corduroy and buys him. She takes him home and fixes his should strap saying "I like you the way you are but you'll be more comfortable with your shoulder strap fastened." I love this. The story ends with message of unconditional love, the beauty of home and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment