July 31, 2018

July Summer Reading

With temperatures hovering in the triple digits, it has given the kiddos and I ample of time for reading. Mostly picture books about Curious George or Peppa the Pig, or short chapter books about superheros, however occasionally I do find time to read a grownup book for myself. This month I consider myself lucky that I was able to finish three grownup books. I choose The Great Alone and Hillbilly Elegy based on several recommendations from friends and fellow bloggers, and Rembrandt's Shadow at random from the library bookshelf.

I finished The Great Alone in one weekend. I could not put this book down. Leni has lived a fairly chaotic life. Her father,  Ernt is a Vietnam veteran and former POW. He struggles with anger issues, depression, and is unable to keep a steady job. After loosing yet another job, Ernt decides that his family needs a fresh start and they move to a small remote homestead in Alaska. At first everything seems to go well, Leni and her family enjoy the hard work on their homestead, their neighbors are friendly and Ernt is happy. However, as the Starks say - winter is coming- and it is during those long cold dark months of winter when things go south.

This book is heavy. It deals with abuse, depression and what happens when "biggest danger of all was in her [Leni's] own home."

Hannah does a fantastic job moving this story along, giving readers just enough light to get through the dark and ending on a semi-happyish note.

The Hillbilly Elegy was an interesting read. And my final read for July was Rembrandt's Shadow, the story of how one painting saved the lives of 25 Dutch Jews in WWII.  

I really know how to pick a sad stories. 

I'd like to write in more depth about Hillbilly Elegy  and Rembrandt's Shadow at a later date.

Also, I'd like to point out that we have lived in Arizona for six months now.

No comments:

Post a Comment