September 17, 2018

Afterlife of Stars by Joseph Kertes

I have mixed feelings about this novel and would probably give it a 3 out of 5. It was beautifully written, poetic and thought provoking. However, I struggled to connect with the characters, felt that the story pacing was awkward and the ending contrived.

This book is about a Hungarian Jewish family fleeing the Russian's during the Hungarian Revolution. The story is told through the eyes of Robert, who is 9.8 (decimals are very important to him) and Atilla who is 13.7. The boys witness bloodshed, death and violence all around them in Hungary and during their escape to Paris. Once in Paris, the boys uncover a family secret. This secret leads the boys on a wild goose chase around the city, only to end in more tragedy. 

After reading this book, I learned that the author Mr. Kertes escaped the Hungarian revolution with his family in 1965. It made me wonder how much of this novel was fictional and how much of it was based on events he witness as a child.

I wish Mr. Kertes gave the reader more background information about the Hungarian Revolution. I don't know much about what happened during this revolution, and think that it would have been helpful to know what was going on.

I didn't like the overly sexualized scenes with Babette. I wasn't sure if the author wrote the scenes for a purpose or just because...it was weird.

I hate to say this but...I felt that I've heard this story before - Jewish family narrowly escapes, family is hiding a deep dark secret, family endures much adversity only to arrive safely at said destination.

In Paris, when the boys discover their family's deep dark secret it felt forced. I was less interested in the Beck's family secret and more interested in the life of Great-Aunt Hermina and her husband.  Great-Aunt Hermina's life story would be an interesting read! Maybe a future novel??

Lastly, the author's tone didn't fit with his young protagonist. I had a hard time buying Robert being only 9.8. His stream of consciousness fit more with a mature adult who overtime has been able to process the tragedy and bloodshed. This is what led me to research the author, and I wonder if maybe it is his way of processing everything he experienced as a child through the matured brain of an adult. 

Who knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment