September 30, 2018

I've been in a creative slump lately. 

I've been asking myself what is the point of blogging? 

And honestly, what is the point of most of what I do...

I was inspired by other bloggers to pause and reflect on this list.  I thought  maybe through the process of self reflection it could help me get out of the slump. 

So here you go... and yes I'm aware that it is past the challenge date. 


#1. I grew up...

I grew up in a rural community in Southern California. My parents owned a small ranch where we raised horses, dogs, a few goats and a random assortment of small animals.  Most of our dogs were strays...my Mom could never turn a stray dog or cat away. I have two biological sisters and three adopted brothers (...they were adopted after I moved out and got married). My sisters and I were homeschooled. When I turned nine, I was enrolled in our local 4-H club where I showed horses until I turned eighteen. I spent ten summers working at a summer camp as a horse instructor, counselor and programming director...which is also where I met my husband. And lastly, I graduated with a Master of Arts in Teaching from La Sierra University.

#2. Someone who has influenced me is....

This is a tough one to answer. Of course, my parents and Dadi have all played a role in influencing and shaping my life and for that I'm an eternally grateful. However, if I have to pick one person I'd pick Dr. Siegfried Roeske - religion professor from college. It is because of Dr. Roeske that I am still a Christian and an Adventist. Sadly, Dr. Roeske passed away last December. He will always have a special place in my heart.

#3. A thing that changed my worldview was...

Going to college! My freshman year was an eye opening experience. I was woefully unprepared - socially and academically. It took a couple of months to get on my feet..ok maybe a couple of years...but I finally did and I walked away with my Master of Arts in Teaching.  

#4. I am strangely good at...

Snail mail! Love writing and receiving snail mail. There is something extra special about handwritten notes and cards.  

#5. I have mixed feelings about...

Should I leave my hair long and just do a nice side swept longish bang? Should I dye the tips of my hair teal blue just in time for the holidays? Or should I go short and bold with a sharp diagonal lines? 

#6. A defining moment in my life was when...

I found out that I was going to be a mama. I always knew that I wanted to have kids, but I didn't expect my oldest to come so soon. I didn't even know that I was pregnant until I was about thirteen weeks. I went to see my doctor for a routine check-up. The next day while I was teaching, the doctor called to give me the news. My husband and I had just talked the night before about starting our family in about five years. Little did he know that plan wasn't in God's plan for us...Just FYI, my husbands reaction when I told him about being pregnant was to go to Red Robin and eat his weight in french fries, then go to Costco and buy me earrings and fuzzy boots. 

#7. Recent discovery I can't stop talking about...

The Churro Place! Gilbert has some amazing places to eat and one of those places is the Dulce Churro Cafe. If you are ever in town...please check this cafe out! You will never be able to eat churros anywhere else. 

8#. Something I'm struggling with right now is...

In two years my youngest daughter will be starting kindergarten. I'm not sure what the next step in my life will be. My role as a Mama is changing..yes..my kiddos will still need me, but with both kids in school I'll have time on my hands. Do I get a job? Do I continue to stay at home? I'm not really sure what my plan is..but one thing I do know is that I need to figure it out soon. 

9#. My magical reset button is...

Being outside in nature. After living in triple digits for three to four months, I'm ready for cooler weather. It's time to get outside and explore Arizona..away from technology..and possibly my kids. Also, if I can't get to nature...Target and Starbucks alone is always a great alternative...the garden section counts..right? 

#10 In 3 months, will you ask me about...? 

In three months, I'll have lived in Arizona for one year! Feel free to ask how that is going. Also, ask me if I survived my first Holiday travel season. I'm curious to see how it is going to be traveling, visiting family and trying to see everyone in a short amount of time. I'm going to miss being home on Christmas morning. However, I'm also looking forward to making new memories and traditions as the years go by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment