June 12, 2015

Alara's birth story

Our home has grown by two feet. I'm excited to announce the birth of our daughter - Alara Elizabeth Harrison. She was born June 6th, at 12:24 am. She weighted 6 lbs 9 oz. She is beautiful, with ten perfect little fingers and ten perfect little toes.


In my last week of pregnancy, I honestly didn't think Alara would ever come! I was overdue by five days and getting anxious. At my weekly appointments, I remained consistently dilated between one to two centimeters, never progressing more than that. I started taking extra long walks hoping to speed things up. 

Friday evening I started getting contractions about 20-30 minutes apart. I causally mentioned this to my husband, and we both agreed not to panic and wait to see if the contractions get closer and stronger. About an hour later, I was having contractions about 10-15 minutes apart. By then I knew that this was the real deal, but we waited until my contractions were about 5 minutes apart before heading to the hospital at 11 pm. 

The plan was to have an epidural. However, Alara had other plans. By the time I was hooked up to the monitors, administered IV's and had my blood drawn it was to late for an epidural. My water finally broke and Alara was born. 

After Alara was born, the midwife immediately placed her skin to skin on my chest. I had completely forgotten how wonderful it is to snuggle with a newborn. She nursed for the first time and latched like a champ, which was a big relief after my experience with nursing Lucas as a newborn. 

The next morning, Dadi and Dada brought Lucas to meet his new baby sister. So far his transition from only child to big brother has been smooth. 

I don't want to jinks it, but Alara has been such a good natured baby.

I know that the next couple of weeks will be challenging.   We are adjusting from being a family of three to a family of four. However, I wouldn't change it for anything. Welcome to our family Alara, we are blessed to have you and can't wait to see what the future holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment