March 19, 2016

Riley's Farm Field Trip


I took a trip down memory lane and took the kiddos on a field trip to Riley's Farm. As a girl, my parents took my sisters and I on homeschool field trips to Riley's farm. We would dress up in pioneer dresses, wear bonnets and go in character. I have many fond memories of making apple cider, working at the cabin and dancing the Virginia Reel. When my mom mentioned that her homeschool group was going to Riley's and asked if I wanted to come I of course said yes! How could I not pass up  the chance to let Lucas experience pioneer life. 

For this field trip we did the gold rush adventure. The local miners (employees of Riley's) did an excellent job of teaching the kids about life as prospectors. They started the adventure by doing a short reenactment, then took the kids through the mining camp and demonstrated what we would be doing for the day. After the tour and demonstration, the local miners turned the kids loose to get supplies, and to start panning for "gold." 

 Lucas enjoyed himself. He did chores to earn enough "money" to buy tools to pan for gold, turned his "gold" into paper money at the bank and then headed up to the mines to look for more "gold." Although we didn't strike it rich, it was a fun day and we hope to come back and try some of the other living history adventures Riley's has to offer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment