June 28, 2017

handmade summer dress + ice cream social at the Heritage House


I finished this little sun dress just in time for summer's 100+ degree weather. This dress is my first attempt to make something for myself. It was a struggle at times. I ended up going to an Auntie's house for help with the blouse. I knew that I could muddle my way through, but having someone explain and show me what went wrong was helpful. I'm happy with how this dress turned out and I'm looking forward to sewing more. 

I wore this dress to the Heritage House ice cream social. The weather was a lovely 112 degrees, but with the breeze and large shade trees it was bearable. I have been wanting to tour this beautiful Victorian home, and thought that attending the ice cream social would be the perfect opportunity to check out something unique to my community. 

The house is beautiful. Everything has been well maintained, the docents were entertaining and knowledgeable. I wish that we had been allowed to go upstairs, however the second and third floors were off limits due to the heat. When the house opens again in the fall I definitely want to explore the rest of the house. 

Lucas wasn't thrilled to be out in the heat...or at a museum. However,  a bowel of chocolate ice cream did improve his mood.... a little. The Heritage House offered activities for kids- face painting (he didn't want to do that), games (he asked to go home), ice cream (he did say yes to ice cream), orange tasting from Citrus Park (nope, it wasn't orange juice...although I tried an orange and it was delicious) and recruitment into the Continental army. Lucas did "enlist" and actually enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment