August 31, 2015

"We're Going on a Bear Hunt" retold by Michael Rosen

"We're Going on a Bear Hunt" retold by Michael Rosen and illustrated by Helen Oxenbury has been one of my favorite children's books for many years. I bought this book for my husband (at that time he was my boyfriend) eight years ago. We worked at a summer camp together. One of the camp fire songs we sang was "We're Going on a Bear Hunt." It was a fun song with sillyhand motions - a camp favorite among campers and staff. I gave this book to him as an anniversary gift.

Much to my delight Lucas has discovered this book. He loves the part where family tromps through the mud, swims through the river and tip toes up to the bear cave. Hand motions and voices are a must with this fun loving adventure book.

The author's use of repetition is catchy and engaging which encourages young readers to join in. I like how the author uses vivid descriptions -long wavy grass, a deep cold river, and thick oozy mud - to encourage the readers imagination.  The illustrations are beautiful. I like how Oxenbury switches back and forth from black and white drawings to color drawings.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt is a fantastic book for readers of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment